Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Week 9 Extra Reading Diary: Welsh Fairy Tales

These stories are from the Welsh Fairy Tales Unit.

Arthur in the Cave: Oh, this is going to be a good extra reading! I just love these stories. I can picture everything like it’s happening in a movie clip. The way that they talk and introduce people reminds me of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies. I can’t believe that the Welshman decided to ring the bell and wake up all of those soldiers after the sorcerer warned him that doing so would kill them both. Still, he did not end up meeting with any consequences for his poor choice. Readers just got to have a little teaser at what Arthur and his warriors are waiting for as they sleep the years away.

Einion and the Lady of Greenwood: Aw, what a happy ending for this love story! I’ll have to keep this in mind for my Storybook project. I think I already have the story I will use for the British/European story, but this is a good backup if the first one doesn’t work out for some reason. It’s so interesting that the one goblin in this story appeared to Einion and Angharad as a potential partner as if the goblin was determined to tear them apart. Looking at it from that perspective, this might actually be a great story to end my storybook on: the lovers conquer a mischievous agent of Fate and finally live happily ever after.

The Stray Cow: I love this story! In a lot of the African stories I read this semester, the characters kill the animal that is providing them with food or wealth and I always wonder what they were thinking. The stories don’t continue to show any sort of negative consequences either. For this story, the man was going to slaughter the elfin cow that made him so wealthy, but an elfin maiden saved the cow! And no one felt bad for the man because he shouldn’t have been so ungrateful to the poor cow.


Einion and the Fair Family: This is such a cute story too with a great ending and some humor! I love Einion’s line at the end that his wife’s family is very fair! I’m glad it worked out for them to both be happy and to stay together.


(Arthurian Knight by Charles Ernest Butler, 1903)


No comments:

Post a Comment