Saturday, February 7, 2015

Famous Last Words Week 4

            I liked reading the Arabian Nights unit this week, with the exception of finding out the “true” story behind Aladdin. This version of Aladdin’s story did not depict Aladdin as the charming and lovable hero from Disney. He was instead rather lazy and selfish, while his princess was greedy and gullible (not at all like the strong-willed, kind Princess Jasmine). The Arabian Nights stories were all very interesting, but complicated. I went back and forth for a while on which story to rewrite and eventually ending up settling on part of Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp. I focused on the genie’s role and how he must feel being Aladdin’s slave.  
            I am really excited to be working on my Storybook project. Although I think I know all of the stories I will use, I still like looking for possible stories in each unit that I read. You never know when you’ll come across a good love story hidden away in one of the units.
            I enjoyed the Storytelling posts I read this week as well. It is interesting to see the different approaches people take to making the story their own. I especially like it when I’ve already read the story, but it is also interesting to read new stories that are unfamiliar to me.  
            This weekend, I am volunteering with my service group (Okie Belles) at the Regional Food Bank in Oklahoma City. We will help sort and pack food for people in need. The Food Bank is one of the places we go to a lot and we always have a great time. It feels good to help out in the community in any small way that we can.

            Coming up on Monday, I will be going to the OU basketball game! I’m excited for that, but the only downside is that the finale of Celebrity Apprentice is on the same night!! :/

(Velma tries to love box)

(But Annie LOVES box)


No comments:

Post a Comment