Saturday, February 14, 2015

Week 7 Reading Diary A: Congo Unit

These stories are from the Congo Unit.

How the Wives Restored Their Husband to Life: This story is so interesting. It shows how each of the three wives possessed a special gift that allowed the three of them to work together to revive their husband. While polygamy is not accepted in Western culture, I know that it was and is the norm in other cultures. This story reminded me of the show Sister Wives (I have to admit to watching a few episodes!). The dynamic between the wives is very interesting in both cases. For this story, I do wish that the husband would have combined all three meals and accepted each equally because without working together the wives never would have been able to revive the husband.

The Vanishing Wife: Ah, yes. I read this story a little while ago with the thought of making it one of my stories for my Storybook Project. I definitely want to have a story from Africa, and this was one that I found in the UN-Textbook that seemed like it could work. I would have to change it dramatically though for it to fit in my project. I would have a lot less magic and would definitely need to change the ending to be happy. I’m not sure if I will end up using it. Maybe I’ll find something better as I read more African stories.


The Twin Brothers: Wow, what a whirlwind of a story! First, I was so glad that there was a love story involved. Then I was upset with the new husband just had to go off and get himself killed. Then his brother came to save him, and I was getting ready to write about how I was so glad the story had a happy ending. But within the last few lines, the brothers’ jealousy got the best of them and the new husband ended up dead again!

(fetish with mirror, relevant to The Twin Brothers)

No comments:

Post a Comment