Sunday, February 15, 2015

Week 7 Extra Reading Diary: Nigerian Folk Stories

These stories are from the Nigerian Folk Stories Unit.

I am doing this extra reading diary in the hopes of coming across a story I can use for my Storybook Project. I have a backup story that I could use (if I changed it a lot) from the Congo Unit, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed for an even better one.

Of the Pretty StrangerWho Killed the King: Well, this one is definitely not a contender for my Storybook, but it was an interesting story nonetheless. I always like stories with a heroine in them (even if this one does cut off someone’s head; I’m assuming he really did deserve it). This story reminds me of my new favorite show on Netflix, Marco Polo! In that show, the chancellor of the Chinese dynasty sends his royal concubine sister to assassinate a member of the Khan family. The ending of that story is quite different from this one.

The DisobedientDaughter Who Married a Skull: Again, this was not what I was looking for, but still a great story. This story had so many elements that reminded me of other stories. First of all, the way the skull borrowed pieces from other to form a human reminds me of how the monster in Frankenstein was created (although the skull seemed to do a better job since he turned out very handsome). Also, when Afiong was carried by the wind, it reminded me of Cupid and Psyche. While I understand there are some cultural differences at play, it still makes me upset that the girl ends up having to marry whoever her parents tell her to.


The Elephant and theTortoise: These types of stories are so interesting to read. I love to read the different explanations for why things are the way that we know them today. Before I read this story, I never really thought about elephants having disproportionately small eyes.

(African Elephant)

No comments:

Post a Comment