Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Reading Diary B: Arabian Nights

These stories are from the Arabian Nights Unit

Aladdin and theWonderful Lamp 1: This is definitely different than the Disney version so far! I do think I see some similarities with how Aladdin is tricked into going into the cave and getting the lamp, but I have to admit that I usually didn’t pay attention to that part of the Disney movie! (It was kind of scary and I much preferred the scenes with Jasmine.) It’s interesting that this genie is summoned from the ring instead of the lamp.

Aladdin 2: What a lucky Aladdin to have two genies! And this Aladdin is somewhat of a peeping tom… and a kidnapper! This is certainly much different from the Disney version, and I’m not sure if I like it.

Aladdin 4: This story is a good example of what happens when you are not truthful. If Aladdin had told his wife the significance of the lamp, maybe she would have loved him anyway and known to keep the lamp safe instead of exchanging it and falling into the magician’s trap. Also, this poor princess gets magically transported a lot of places! It must be very distressing.

Aladdin 5: This is also ringing some bells with the Disney version! It’s making me want to watch the movie again! I’m glad that Aladdin and the princess are reunited, even if this Aladdin is not the same upstanding man as the Disney version. I hope it ends well for them!


Aladdin 6: Fwew, that was a close one! I wish that Aladdin had learned to be a little less selfish, though. Or I suppose the princess should learn that as well. They both had everything they could have ever wanted, but then got it in their minds to want something more.   

(Aladdin and the princess, illustration by H.J. Ford 1898)

No comments:

Post a Comment