Thursday, January 15, 2015

Week 2 Storytelling: The Battle on the Playground of Troy Elementary

The sun was shining brightly on the playground of Troy Elementary and the air was crisp. There was a fresh layer of snow covering the woodchips. The enjoyable weather felt appropriate to the victorious boys of Mrs. Greek’s class, who had just successfully taken the Blue Slide from the boys of Mrs. Trojan’s class. The Greeks felt confident that soon the whole playground would be in their control and they would finally avenge their dear friend Menelaus and retrieve his favorite action figure from dumb, smelly Paris!
            Beyond the satisfaction of taking the Blue Slide for their enjoyment, the Greeks had also found many fun toys inside it and had fairly divided them up. Agamemnon, Menelaus’ grumpy brother, had gotten an especially fine prize, a Wolverine action figure! But the toy had belonged to Abbott, a boy in Mrs. Trojan’s class. He wasn’t really involved in the fight between the Greeks and the Trojans, and everyone thought he was a pretty nice kid.
            Abbott really wanted his toy back. It was his favorite! So he came up to the Greeks timidly with his lunchbox in his hands.
            “Please, Agamemnon,” he said, looking sadly at the Wolverine toy, “can I have my toy back? I’ll give you all the Oreos in my lunch for an entire month!”
            “Do it, Agamemnon!” Menelaus said. “Everyone loves Oreos! And that toy isn’t that great.”
            “Yeah, do it,” said Achilles. Achilles was in Mrs. Greeks class, too. He was the fastest runner in all of kindergarten! Most of the other kids really liked him, but Agamemnon thought he was dumb.
            “No,” said Agamemnon, scowling at Abbott. “Get outta here, loser! And don’t come back, or I’ll beat you up! I don’t care that you’re nice. And forget about your toy. I’m taking it home with me!”
            Abbott ran away, frightened, and found his cousin, Apollo. Apollo was in fifth grade and was very cool. He and all his friends always hung out together on the Hill at recess and watched over the entire playground. Abbott told Apollo what had happened and Apollo became very angry at the treatment of his loyal little cousin. Apollo decided to take matters into his own hands.
            The next day at recess, the Greeks were playing happily around the Blue Slide, plotting their next move against the Trojans. Suddenly, a snowball hit Agamemnon on the back of the head. He turned angrily to see where it had come from, but then a flurry of snowballs came flying at all of them! For nine whole minutes, the Greeks were pelted with snowballs until finally Achilles led them under a picnic table so they could talk.
            “It’s that Apollo the Fifth Grader!” Achilles said. “Calchas, why is he doing this to us?”
            Calchas was the sneakiest of the group and often listened in on other people’s conversations. He always seemed to know everything.
            “I don’t want to say!” Calchas cried, looking nervously at Agamemnon.
            “Don’t worry Agamemnon,” Achilles said. “I won’t let him beat you up.”
            “Well, Apollo the Fifth Grader is really mad because Agamemnon wouldn’t give back his cousin’s toy. Now you have to give back the toy and one hundred animal crackers or Apollo will keep bothering us!”
            “Ugh, I hate you, Calchas,” said Agamemnon. “But fine, I’ll give back the stupid toy. But I need my part of the cool stuff we found! It’s not fair if I have less than everyone else!”
            “Agamemnon, you’re so whiny,” Achilles said in disgust. “Just wait until we take the whole playground and all the cool stuff that’s in it. Then you can have three toys that will probably be way cooler anyway.”
            “No way!” said Agamemnon. “I want something now! And if I don’t get it from one of the other boys from Mrs. Greeks class, then I’m going to take it from one of you even though you’re my best friends! I’ll probably take it from you, Achilles.”
            “You’re such a big fat jerk,” Achilles said, his face turning red. “The only reason we’re even fighting with the kids from Mrs. Trojan’s class if because of you and your brother. We used to be friends with them! You don’t even do any of the hard work, but as soon as there are toys involved, you’re the first one to grab at them! And now you want my toy? No way, man. I’m not playing with you anymore!”
            “Fine then, leave!” said Agamemnon. “Take your dumb friends with you! I have better friends than you and they won’t be mean to me! But I’m still coming for your toy, the Captain America action figure! You need to see that I’m the leader of the class, not you!”
            Achilles balled up his fists and was getting ready to punch Agamemnon in the face when he heard someone call his name. He turned around to see his neighbor Athene, a third grader, waving him over to her a few yards away. He slumped over to her.
            “Don’t go starting fights, Achilles,” she warned. “Hera and I want to play with you after school, so you’d better not get into any trouble! Besides, Agamemnon will get what’s coming to him soon enough.”

            “Ugh, fine,” Achilles sighed. He looked back at where the other boys still huddled under the table. “You’ll be sorry that I’m not playing with you, Agamemnon!” he shouted. He stomped his foot, crossed his arms, and sat angrily on the pavement.

(Children playing ball games, Roman artwork, Second Century AD)

Author's Note. This story is based off of The Quarrel in Homer's Illiad. In this scene, the Greeks have captured a city and divvied up the plunders within it. Agamemnon's part of the share included the daughter of a priest who served Apollo. The priest attempts to buy his daughter back with gold, but Agamemnon refuses. This causes Apollo to shower arrows upon the Greeks for nine days and many die. Finally, Achilles gathers the leaders and asks a prophet why Apollo is against them. The prophet explains that Agamemnon must return the priests daughter, which angers Agamemnon and causes an argument very similar to the one in my story. I chose to write this story as though the characters were children because when I first read it, it seemed that they were acting very childishly. I kept most of the original names and added the name Abbott, which means priest according to this website. I made the gods be from older grades to show superiority.  

Bibliography: The Illiad retold by Alfred J. Church (1907). Source: Mythology-Folklore UN-Textbook

5 comments:

  1. Brianne, I thought you did a great job with this storytelling. I also read The Iliad, so I loved your adaptation--making the Greeks and Trojans be from an elementary school is such a great idea. I especially loved how you introduced the story, telling the specifics of the setting and painting a clear picture of where this was taking place. I liked your use of visuals in the story, which helped with character development. You did great on your word choice, making the characters sound like whiny elementary school kids that were fighting over something trivial. The only suggestion I had was that sometimes there were too many names thrown at you--names that didn't actually affect the storytelling, especially if one didn't read the original The Iliad. But overall, I thought this was such a great way to tell the story! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job of altering the story and still keeping the same plot. The dialogue is great; the words you used seem like things that young children would say to each other in arguments. I also like the way that you made the setting an elementary school playground and kept all of the original character names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I love that you changed the setting and time period of the story but stuck really close to the original plot. I also read the Iliad for my reading unit for week 2, and loved it. Your story is definitely gets the point of this episode of the Iliad across, while being child-like and playful. There was one instance where you used the name Agamemnon and I think you intended to say Calchas, but definitely understandable considering the number of characters in this story. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that was a really cool story. I liked how you changed the setting to a playground in elementary school. I also think that it fits the attitude of the characters better. As for you blog, everything is very easy to read with the white text on the orange background; however, your orange background does not go well with your flowers and stems background. Maybe it does, I am just a little biased against the color orange. It is gross. Also, it is hard to tell exactly what is a link and what is just normal text because the link color is such a pale yellow. I think you did a great job of inserting links in the story. I liked how you even had a link to the website where you found the origins of Abbott. Your picture of the young children playing ball went along with the story really well. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Brianne! I am uber-impressed with your storytelling post. Not only is it uber creative, but it is fun to read. One of the things that I like the most is the more modern and fun side of it with it depicting children on a playground, but I also appreciate that you kept the names of the characters from the original story to your story, that was it was evident who was representing who. The picture is also a nice touch at the end. I don’t have much to suggest. If anything, for your blog, it would be nice to have the column with all the labels/links made a little wider (if possible); that way, the each word isn’t split between two lines. I feel like doing so will be a bit more visually appealing. However, I love the background of your blog. I’m really looking forward to (hopefully) reading your storybook – you are evidently a talented writer.

    ReplyDelete