Friday, January 16, 2015

Aesop's Fables (Jacobs and Crane) -- Extra Reading Diary



I loved Androcles and the Lion because it had such a happy ending and a good moral. Based on the other fables before it, I was bracing myself for the lion to eat Androcles because he had been starved for days (animal cruelty)! But I was very pleased with the ending. Lions are just big cats :)

(Lion's Face from Free Stock Photos)



The Fox and the Lion reminded me of something I learned in my Psychology of Prejudice course last semester: it’s human nature to fear the unknown, which is why we utilize stereotypes as a way to categorize the world and reduce uncertainty. When we run into something we are unfamiliar with, fear is a common response. But the more we are exposed to something, the less fearful we are.


I liked The Wolf and the Crane the most from the wolf stories because although the Crane didn’t get its reward, it didn’t get eaten like practically all the other animals on this page!


The Cat-Maiden made me laugh because I thought of how my cats would act and how silly it would look if they were turned into people! All I would have to do to get them to act crazy would be to get out the laser pointer.


The Hare With Many Friends was my favorite story from the Cats and Dogs page all the way through the Hares. It sort of showed an interesting psychology concept called the bystander effect in which people are much less likely to help someone if there are others around because they feel a diffusion of responsibility.




No comments:

Post a Comment