Monday, January 26, 2015

Turkish Fairy Tales: Reading Diary A

Stories from the Turkish Fairy Tales Unit

Fear (and Fear continued) was a surprising story. The youth was unafraid of the criminals, a supernatural hand in a cemetery, and death in many forms (strangulation, fighting with a goddess in the ocean, becoming a cursed Shah), but he was startled by a little bird flying out of his soup. I’m not sure if I completely understand the story. I should think deeper on this one. At least it had a happy ending!

The Wizard-Dervish: A love story! (Sort of). I think I might like to rewrite this story and change it a lot to be more focused on the love story and less focused on the witch mother trying to find the couple and the maiden changing them into different, weird things. I feel like that part of the story must have a deeper meaning that I am not catching, but maybe I could tone it down to fit better with the story I write. Another happy ending!


The Crow-Peri: Again, another weird story with many different tasks, twists, and turns. I do like that most of these stories end up having elements of love stories. However, it seems that the women in these stories rarely have any say in who they marry. They are usually some sort of magical animal helping the man with his problems and they end up married off to him. On the other hand, the women do seem to be the brains behind all the problem solving. The role of women would probably be a good essay topic.

(The Crow-Peri illustration by Willy Pogany, 1913)

No comments:

Post a Comment