Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Cupid and Psyche -- Reading Diary A

Yay, a love story!

Psyche’s Beauty andthe Anger of Venus: Psyche and her family shouldn’t be surprised that Venus is angry at Psyche’s “royal treatment.” After all, everyone knows that gods and goddesses are notoriously sensitive. This section described Cupid as scheming and malicious. Certainly not the image we are used to seeing around Valentines Day! Cupid is sometimes described as mischievous, but I’ve never heard him described as delighting in breaking up marriages.

The Oracle of Apollo depicts Psyche as brave and composed in the face of fear. This contrasts against the girl from the frame story, who spent her time crying and whining. Psyche seems noble and wise. She does not want her parents to feel bad for her because there is nothing anyone can do to change the situation.  

The Magical Palace definitely makes me see why this story is the inspiration for Beauty and the Beast. What a surprise this must have been for Psyche. She thought she would be going to a place more like hell, but instead gets to enjoy a luxurious palace with her own personal caretakers. Wouldn’t it be nice if invisible hands could serve you dinner at home!


The Jealousy ofPsyche’s Sisters… I’m so disappointed with this episode! Psyche’s sisters could have been overjoyed that their youngest sister was alive and well. They could have been grateful that she would give them valuable gifts. I have one sister, and I’d like to believe that any jealousy I have about her good fortune would be overshadowed by the joy I would feel for her success. Not cool, ladies…

(Psyche and Her Sisters)


Psyche's Despair... Wow! This story just got a lot bloodier than I ever expected. I can't say that I'm too torn up about the sisters, though.

Bibliography: From the Cupid and Psyche Unit, originally from The Golden Ass by Apuleius, translated by Tony Kline.

No comments:

Post a Comment