Sunday, March 29, 2015

Week 11 Reading Diary A: Celtic Fairy Tales (Jacobs)

These stories are from the Celtic Fairy Tales (Jacobs) Unit.

Connla and the Fairy Maiden: Oh, yay! This is going to be the last story in my Storybook Project. I found it way back at the beginning of the semester when I was still in the planning stage of the project and I am finally to the unit it is in. I love this story. It reminds me of The Lord of the Rings when the elves leave on the boat to their eternal land. I will make it less magic-centered for my storybook, but I think I will have the souls go together to their final eternal land, never to be separated again (similar to the ending of the original story here). Or I might just have them leave in a boat to be able to be together against their parents’ wishes.

Gold-Tree and Silver-Tree: What an interesting Snow White-type story. It is strange to me that this story had the antagonist as Gold-Tree’s actual mother. In all the Disney movies, the antagonist takes the form of a stepmother or someone not actually related to the protagonist. This story caught me off guard when Silver-Tree desired to kill (and even eat parts of) her own daughter! I was also surprised that it took so long for someone to figure out that all they had to do to make Gold-Tree come back to life was to take the poisoned stab out of her finger! The polygamy was also surprising to me (and certainly not Disney-like!). Still, the second wife proves to be very useful when she saves Gold-Tree from her murderous mother.

(portrait of a fairy by Sophie Gengembre Anderson, 1869)

No comments:

Post a Comment