Monday, March 16, 2015

Week 10 Reading Diary A: American Indian Fairytales

These stories are from the American Indian Fairytales Unit.

Iagoo, the Story-Teller: This story is so smooth and peaceful. I love the way the narrator describes Iagoo and all his vast knowledge. Iagoo seems to have a very calming presence. I also love how the story personifies the North Wind and even describes his appearance. This is a really smooth frame story.

Shin-ge-bis Fools the North Wind: The part of this story that describes how the North Wind would love for the whole world to be covered in ice reminds me of the old Christmas movie The Year Without a Santa Claus. It reminds me of the Snow Miser and the South Wind reminds me of Heat Miser.  I like how the cold was defeated by the warmth, showing that everything has a balance. It certainly is relatable to the cold weather we are having now!

The Little Boy and Girl in the Clouds: Again, the description of Iagoo at the beginning of this story is just wonderful. I can picture everything happening like I am watching it unfold, even when he begins to tell the story of the boy and the girl. The world they used to live in seems so peaceful and majestic. It’s sad to think of these once-free creatures cooped up in cages. I like how this story ended, too, with the smallest creature able to succeed where others could not.


The Child of the Evening Star:  What a great love story this was. Oweenee and Osseo loved each other despite appearances. They saw through to the essence of each other’s hearts and souls and were finally rewarded for their goodness. I like the idea of them coming back to Earth and teaching others how to live. This story had a happy ending for all involved.

(The Child of the Evening Star, illustration by John Rae 1921)

No comments:

Post a Comment