Monday, March 16, 2015

Week 10 Reading Diary B: American Indian Fairytales

These stories are from the American Indian Fairytales Unit.

The Boy Who Snared the Sun: This was an interesting story with lots of different elements that all seemed sort of pieced together. I thought it was funny that Iagoo got mad at the little boy for asking a question but did not get mad at his older sister for asking many questions. It’s strange that the little boy never found out if he and his sister were truly the only people on Earth. He just got distracted by wanting revenge against the sun. I wonder how he felt after the dormouse released the sun from his snare.

How the Summer Came: I love how all of these stories remind readers to appreciate nature. This is such a lovely story about a man’s sacrifice to bring happiness to his son and all the people of the world. It’s so interesting that this story had the pleasant seasons confined to the sky-land, sort of like the ideas of Heaven or Mount Olympus. It was an interesting storytelling style because readers got the description of the constellation first with a little mystery as to why it looked that way and then got the story explaining everything.


The Fairy Bride: Oh, what a creepy and cool love story this was! I think I want to write a version of this story for my Storytelling. It could go in a few different directions. I could see it being pretty dark, like Neenizu taking her life to free herself from the unwanted marriage, thinking she is going to the Happy Land. I don’t think I really want to write something that dark, though. Maybe instead she runs away with her love, a youth from a peaceful vegetarian tribe J

(Pocahontas Coloring Book by ElayneLily from deviant art)

No comments:

Post a Comment