Monday, March 16, 2015

Week 10 Extra Reading Diary: Welsh Fairytales Unit (Thomas Part 2)

I am reading Part 2 of the Welsh Fairy Tales (Thomas) unit for my Extra Reading Diary this week. I read the first part for an ERD in Week 9 and would like to finish it!

Owen Goes a-Wooing: This story reminds me of a story from the Japanese Fairy Tales unit in which a young man goes into the ocean to an undersea kingdom and lives with a beautiful sea-maiden. He thinks he is only there for a short time, but when he goes back to land to visit his parents he realizes he has been gone for hundreds of years. What an interesting theme this is.

The Fairy Reward: This story was very amusing to me because it reminded me of “Breaking Bad,” which I’ve been watching a lot of on Netflix recently. Both this story and the show have untruthful husbands who are making lots of money without their wives’ knowledge of how.

The Bride From the RedLake: It’s so funny how there was this random requirement for the fairy wife to be able to stay with the mortal husband that no one would think would be an issue. Why would he strike her with clay? Yet while he was trying to do something nice for her, he does strike her with clay. I wish the rules could have been a little more lenient.


The Martyred Hound: Oh, wow. I actually felt sick after finishing this story. This is the saddest story I’ve read in a long time. The way the story described the dog made it seem like he was right in front of me. I’ve had dogs and I know that all they want to do is please their owners. Poor dog.

(Greyhound silhouette from open clipart)

No comments:

Post a Comment