Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Commenting Review Week

Commenting is probably the thing I struggle with most in this class. I absolutely do not want to make anyone feel bad about his or her writing and I do not want to come across as rude. It is so hard to be sure that I am communicating a positive tone when typing comments because they are just words on a page and I am worried they could be easily misread as rude. That being said, I do try to give constructive criticism in ways that I hope will help the author. I always include positive statements about what I enjoyed and I end on a good note.


It is most helpful to me when the comments I receive let me know that the readers don’t quite understand something or something seems a little off or awkward in my story. Things like that are difficult for me to catch once I am immersed in the story I’m writing. Grammatical and spelling fixes are also appreciated!

Here is a funny cat meme about editing!

(icanhascheezburger cat meme from flikr)

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Brianne! Yes to everything in this post. You said basically everything I was trying to say, only much better. I'm always worried about coming across as rude as well! It's not like you can clarify with someone really after commenting, and it's hard to know if someone was actually offended or not. I also really like the meme! Memes are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Brianne! I totally get what you mean – I also struggle with commenting and do not want to come off as insensitive, but there’s also some writers who I can’t find anything to correct about their posts so I struggle to find anything to say besides positive things and then I feel like I’m not helping them. I’m sure as we both practice, we’ll get better. Also, I love your cat meme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brianne! I can absolutely relate to what you're talking about in this post. It can be very difficult to try and find the right things to say when commenting on someone's writing. I also think that comments telling when things don't make sense can be very helpful. Often we have ideas in our heads that we understand but they don't always translate over to paper very well and it can leave some people confused. I absolutely love your cat meme!

    ReplyDelete